I honestly don’t know where the markets are heading next. I cannot predict where and when the top and bottom shall take place. But I learnt it hard way, what I should do "stay" or "quit" when price is traveling beyond my reference levels.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Price filters in SAR trading - Gain or Pain!


There is always a struggle in mechanical trader’s mind as what kind of filter he should use on the sideways market to get away from whipsaws. Simple truth is "no filter value" can benefit in the long run. I personally  experienced the fact that most of the trades gets whipsawed even though the price filters are applied before reversing the trade. Whatever can be the filter value, but price will go there to kiss your SAR order and pull back:)

I hope many mechanical trading system followers would have experienced this.I definitely agree that few trades might survive from whipsaws due to application of price filters. But that's once in many trades. If you run the check with your old trade log, you will realise that there is no point in the fixed price filters.

They are actually a  pain to your mechanical trading system.How?

Look at the below table from my records.


Now, below is the small brief to understand the difference between the returns shown above.

Total trades in a year – 96

Say, we keep filter of 0.1% which is around 5 points per trade (considering average price of crude oil as 5000).So, when you place a order for reversal, you place 5 points above or below your actual SAR value.

Let us assume that we are reversing one short position into long with a loss. We place the order 5 points above the SAR level to enter into long position. One has to understand that we have straight away included loss of 10 points in the above trade. That is, we extend the loss of the existing trade by 5 points as well as we reduce the profit from the next trade also by 5 points with the lateral entry.

It is obvious that you are making loss of 10 points in every trade and if you zoom this calculation in to 1 year period, you lose 960 points ( 96 trades as i shown in table) in the name of filters. It is absolute 384% of returns you have lost by using filters. Even if your system do not generate any major gains for the year, if you would have saved this 384%, that is more than enough for any trader with any system.

Caution : My entire explanation is based on commodities and especially from my testing with crude oil. This cannot be considered as is for trading other contracts for eg, Nifty, without proper testing. And, my system is different and the effectiveness of filter might change among different trading vehicles.Check every contract you trade before making a decision.

My note # 1 : If one is already trading with filters, there is no need to immediately skip the filters. Try to reduce the filter size gradually. It can be flexible and worked based on some important TA levels placed around SAR price.This would work.

My note # 2 : I have stopped trading nifty and don't have the updated data. But I can do a approximate math with my experience in Nifty. If we assume that we execute around 75 trades in a year, then trading Nifty using a SAR system with 10 points of filter will lead to the invisible loss of  75x10x2 = 1500 points  which is 300% ROI. Am I correct?

Bottom line of this post is to highlight the invisible slow poison which dilutes your capital.So, keep a check on that!

10 comments:

mo h said...

Giving attendance now ...
Will enter comments later,
computer running low on juice for want of koodankulam
:)
regards
moh

assortZ said...

Madam J is shifting to udangudi from koodankulam anyway..

attendance marked sir :)

mo h said...

** 960 points ( 96 trades as i shown in table) in the name of filters. It is absolute 384% of returns**

hi assortz,
:)
thats an interesting workout ...
a different way of looking at filter, meaningful too.

regards
moh

mo h said...

mmm ... udangudi ...

time to buy neyveli lignite & coalindia positionally ?
:)

Piyush Sharda said...

interesting post az. remember when u
were in nifty we had lot of discussions abt filters and this point "whether they serve any purpose at all ' was raised.

mo h said...

Yes Yes, I too remember all the discussions induced to make some crunch and optimize and some run away cheaply :)
how can one forget such times ever!
:)
thats when one explores system and darkside of human ...
regards!!

assortZ said...

Piyush,

Yes. remember those golden days. how can i forget those watering season to my roots :).. moh was the one who laid the foundation for the channel concept and filter concept was also his contribution in those initial discussions.. He settled with 0.2% filter and i too did many trades based on that..

Moh,

:)

exploring the system - fruit
dark side of human - seed

let us swallow the fruit :)

Piyush Sharda said...

Yes az, in my short trading career i can consider those as my best days where i met the most brilliant minds. I really consider myself very fortunate to have known them. And why just filters if my memory is correct moh was the originator of the idea of whole ojn itself. So i can never thank him enuf for it. U remember when filters were discussed i raised the point that they increase the cost on each side and we shud test whether they r worth it or not. Well i never tested it but u did it.

assortZ said...

Yes piyush, we had clean and perfect platform.. I still wonder how Moh picked me to include in that group :)

Yes.We discussed on filters elaborately. Moh and you were pointing out that it has to be tested as how much cost it creates extra. But I was not in a mind of state by then to concentrate fully in those discussions.When I am now practically into it, I am exploring each nook and corners for improvisation.

mo h said...

Hey AssortZ,
:)
I found some interesting outcomes as i was milling through the weekend (one off this Sunday), on stuff including on the filter. Will get back to you soon.
regards
moh