I honestly don’t know where the markets are heading next. I cannot predict where and when the top and bottom shall take place. But I learnt it hard way, what I should do "stay" or "quit" when price is traveling beyond my reference levels.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Basic instinct!


Am sure all the traders might have experienced this.

When you decide to enter or exit a position, the very moment you think about it, there will be a flash of decision in your mind in a lightning speed. This is purely from your instinct. But, we always ignore that decision and go with the decision after many analysis which is mostly contrary to the instinct decision. Always the consequence go against your analysed decision but favoring the instinct decision which popped on first hand. We then curse our self for not following the instinct. Later, we used to do mind calculations, “if I could have followed that, I must be sitting on this much cash! Phew! I missed it!”. 

I experienced this many times especially on the option contracts before expiry. The moment I think about taking a option position on the expiry day or 1 day before expiry, I skip my instinct and go for the contrary position which always failed. If I could have taken all the positions as per my instinct, then I would have made more than 100% every time :)

It’s a simple logic. Brain is the best programmed software of mankind. Since the trading is in your blood and you think about it all over the day while eating, talking and even in sleep, your brain stores all the information you read, hear, discuss and your own analysis and keep it in the priority racks. It also stores all your past good and bad experiences from your everyday trading life. When you face the situation of decision making in trading, your brain do the quick analysis based on the experiences and link it with the information stored. It immediately trigger your instinct saying “go for this” or “ leave this”. But, we poor traders never listen to it and goes for own decision making after so called many analysis which mostly fails.

We all know why techincal analysis is so famous and getting you some money. Reaction of the mass crowd against particular price movement never changes. It may be another day or year, but the reaction of the traders at certain price levels after a specific move in any given contract, never changes. It’s a balance of greed and fear. TA captures this beautifully and generate signals at appropriate places to enter or exit. Core fundamental for any TA indicator is based on this concept only. You can take fibo, waves, RSI, MACD, Pivot or anything else.. you will understand this simple concept.

Combination of your basic instinct and sincere obedience to TA will never let you down!

--------------------------------------
Ok..why this post now! Because, my instinct saved me some 20k . I was carrying crude oil long positions which was actually bought at 4976 on Tuesday. My stop loss (SAR) for the same was at 4916. INR had a big role yesterday with its  volatile move, caused MCX crude prices not to run parallel along with its mother contract in dollar prices. After my buying at 4976, crude oil spurted to 5025 in a quick time but later fell heavily and exactly made low of 4916 i.e, at stop loss. After taking a support there, it again bounced to 4940-4950 and left me in a dilemma to take a decision whether I should reverse the position to shorts or to remain in the longs. As per TA, I can consider both option.

I can say either price has hit the stop loss so I should reverse or I can consider that stop loss actually gave the support to the price hence I should remain long. Price was swinging between 4920 to 4950 but it never came off. So, I didn’t reverse the position and closed the day with long position. After market is closed, I was thinking that I should have reversed to shorts as only due to  INR volatility, my stop loss was missed by a whisker!. If  INR was in the normal range, then prices should have gone way below the stop loss. Incidentally, the moment after our market is closed, I have seen that dollar prices were diving down heavily.

Next day, my stop loss has gone down to 4865. I am still in the long position and if I have to reverse to shorts today, I should wait for another 50 points from yesterday’s SAR. My instinct asked me to go for shorts when the prices going down below yesterday’s SAR and low i.e, below 4916 today and I responded to it. Lucky! Prices fell sharply and closed at 4855 yesterday and now it is trading at 4800.

If I skipped my instinct, loss of 55 points must be added to my wallet now.

13 comments:

Piyush Sharda said...

az,

ur loss making commodity trade which u posted. was it not instinct?

assortZ said...

Hi PS,

I hope you are referring to the “perfect failure”. That was gambling and not instinct. Always, the instinct told me not to reenter at low levels especially after making such a good profit in that specific trade. But the devil mind didn't accept part booking and wanted to catch the bottom when it was running down steadily. That was TA concept too ( never enter in the mid-way in SAR trades)..

howz nifty baba? showing lot of wealth it seems :)

assortZ said...

Piyush,

from your comment, I understand that I have given conflicting messages in the post. I have now added the reason in my post about the incident which pushed me to wrote the post. I hope the live example can do better :)

mo h said...

Hi AssortZ,
yes sir, the basic instinct call on Nifty from you was perfect.
And you made the call loud enough for people to hear ...
great, keep it going!
It matched Sri's call and the other friend's.

Have a great time ...
mmm ... the page looks like a ceramic tile with chocolate gratings ...
regards
moh

Piyush Sharda said...

az,

just visited now. actually i wanted to say that a lot of times the trader confuses between instinct/greed/etc etc. the individual wud know better what is it. but once u have got the taste of success via discipline u dont leave its tail.the doubt of a trader which u showed is really many times when we enter/exit

btw i shud congratulate u on ur instinct which saw rally in gold and silver.

nifty is kind these days for trend traders so happy. feb month will be challenging as it will consolidate looks like.

az , generally i feel abt commodities , may be right or not i dont know that when u trade comm. u need to keep 2 things in mind always inr and price. in equity for us this problem is not there. when we trade comm we become like fii (the way they trade in india, with constant watch of usd) it shud be a handicap ?

assortZ said...

Hi Moh,

Yes! i kept the 5076 of 30th Jan low as SL and entered into longs and covered them at yesterday close :).. first trade after some 15 months in nifty.. not bad to start with!

It has closed today at cross roads..of course, every day in the recent past, it is closing at cross roads to keep the traders guessing.. if it clears this high, then longs can be off-loaded slowly at 5400 and then at 5500.. it should not go above 5530.. clearing 5530, will be a new bull market and no more discussions for bear market at least for next 3-4 months :)..

Hi Piyush,

You are right piyush.. it depends on the decision what you make at cross roads..whether to enter or exit or part book etc.. more disciplined you are, less flaws in decisions.

Yes, the sense I mentioned in the previous post has come true partly.. I was expecting 4700 or 5300 in crude and it made low of 4710 yesterday night.. but silver, according to me still in its first gear and yet to accelerate for top gear..time is around the corner and when it switches to top gear, you can see very good swing in nifty.

INR – not a pain always! If you look at the current scenario. Nifty is in uptrend and INR is strengthening. Am holding my crude short position. It’s a double dhamakka! But it rarely happens and mostly INR volatility impact your trade set-up.. but still, considering the movement of commodities, INR may reduce your profits but cannot deny it. I don’t track INR closely except if the situation really demands me to tweak my technicals slightly due to INR volatility.

Piyush Sharda said...

az ,
thanx for reply.
long back i was seeing silver charts. it has more than halved in usd but due to rupee depriciation the fall was very less here.
it was very attractive in usd but when i look in inr didnt feel like investing in it.
lets see what happens

assortZ said...

Piyush,

agree with you..have to live with it till we get an opportunity to trade the contracts in dollar prices itself :)

mo h said...

When your trade frustrates, play this :)

Good one again!

also, saw the live rates ... fine i guess.
regards
moh

assortZ said...

Hi Moh,

Yes..Music has the power to change negative thinking into positive .. I listen my favorite music when trades are doing bad.. it stops me from making some senseless moves.. I leave the decision to my system and market.. let them fight when the situation is bad and I listen music keeping myself away from market :)

assortZ said...

and live prices are not updating.. will send you html file.. you can repair them if you want to pass your time :)

Anonymous said...

பங்குச்சந்தை ஒரு சுதாட்டகளம் என்பதற்க்கு உங்கள் முதல் பக்கமே சாட்சி

assortZ said...

anony,

பங்குச்சந்தையில் மூணு சீட்டு அல்லது உள்ளே வெளியே போல அதிரடியாக சம்பாதிக்க நினைத்தால்,இது நிச்சயம் சூதாட்ட களம்தான்.

மாறாக, ரம்மி விளையாடுவது போல் கொஞ்சம் அறிவை உபயோகித்தால், இது அள்ள அள்ளக் குறையாத அட்சய பாத்திரம்!